Every December I look forward to attending a “favorite things” Christmas party with girlfriends, and this year I will be lucky to attend two! Have you done this? It’s so fun. We each bring a gift to exchange white-elephant style, with a price cap suggestion usually around $20 or $30. We enjoy appetizers and desserts and try to “steal” the best gifts from each other as we take turns opening them. I struggle every year trying to decide what to bring!! I might love something, but will my girlfriends love it? I have rounded up a few of my favorite things under $40 that I think everyone should love, too. 😉 I hope it might give you some ideas for your next favorite things party or for your best gal.
- I’m a huge hat lover, they have so many functions! They cover my bad hair days, keep the sun and snow out of my eyes, and they add a wow factor to an otherwise ordinary outfit. A black one like this would go with everything and is only $35.
- Have you heard of Woven Pear socks? The are THEE cutest and so comfy. I have to wear socks anyway in this freezing Colorado weather, they may as well be fun. Aren’t these garden gnomes the best?
- I discovered this SIC (Seriously Ice Cold) Stainless Steel Tumbler this summer and it has literally not left my side. I bring it everywhere I go. I fill it with ice and water and it stays cold all day, even in a hot car. Now that it’s winter, I could put some hot cocoa in it, and it would stay hot. My favorite thing is the wide opening at the top that has no problems getting ice out of the ice dispenser on my fridge. Mmmm… I think I need some water right now. You gotta get the cup and the stainless steel straws (sold separately).
- Have you jumped on the choker bandwagon? I LOVE THEM! I am so into the 90’s inspired style right now and I have loved adding a choker to my outfits. This set at Nordstrom is perfect for trying a new style each day. I especially love the burgundy one. Someone at the favorite things party is bound to want these, right?
- I ordered this book thanks to the suggestion of one of my good friends and favorite bloggers Janssen over at Everyday Reading, and I am SO glad I did. It is a fun and inspirational read about the importance of traditions, rituals, and family meals, which is right up my alley since I am a big fan of creating traditions that revolve around food. It, of course, includes a whole bunch of yummy recipes by the brilliant Jenny of Dinner: A Love Story.
- Who doesn’t love a pretty new scarf?! I am wearing one right now actually, in my office, because it is approximately 16 degrees outside in Denver right now. I love this one, or most any from Nordstrom BP.
- I am a big fan of Kelsey Nixon and love all of her recipes and products. Her silicone whisks would make the most perfect gift: they look pretty, they work like magic, and everyone needs a good silicone whisk to use on their nonstick cookware.
- Cake stands!! I’ve started to acquire a collection of them after throwing a birthday party for each of my kids every year! They add so much to a party table and make your cake or cupcakes or any treat look amazing. They would make a great gift, and these from World Market are some of my favorite. They are metal, so they won’t break like glass, and they have 3 different sizes ranging from $10 to $20.
- Makeup is so much fun. I spend way too much time at my local Ulta and Sephora. This Bare Minerals gen nude buttercream lip gloss is one of my favorites for everyday wear. I have it in the color “snarky” and it’s basically nude so anyone could pull it off.
- Have you tried Essie’s gel couture nail polish yet? It’s an amazing alternative to gel nails that you can do at home just like regular polish (with no UV lamp), and when you finish with the top coat, it can last up to 14 days without chipping. Easy removal, too. I am loving the color “spiked with style” right now. Don’t forget the top coat!
- Oh my beloved SPIbelt!! Get this for all the fitness people in your life! I own two and would not go running without one! It holds my phone, chapstick, and keys, and won’t bounce. It’s a brilliant alternative to the arm band (which duh, is hard to access while running and leaves a weird tan line; who wants that?!)
- I will finish my list off with another kitchen gadget, because kitchen stuff is the best kind of gift. Another favorite from Kelsey Nixon: the essentials spice mill with ceramic grinder is so useful and too cute to put in a cupboard. Definitely one of my favorite things.